Saturday, April 28, 2007

Mazzah Mediterranean Grill - 3 out of 5

You know how when you become aware of something, all of a sudden you start hearing about it everywhere? That was the case with Mazzah for me, so I was very excited to check it out for myself. There are actually two Mazzahs, one on Parkcenter and one in the 17th & State strip mall area—those with kids will recognize the spot near The Learning Express toy store, runners will know The Athlete’s Foot.

The first time I went to the 17th street location was for a working lunch. Expect to order your meal inside at the counter and then you may choose among simple tables inside or several tables outside on the patio. You’ll help yourself to drinks and servers bring your meal to your table. The staff behind the counter was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I asked for a suggestion and boom, the staffer told me exactly what I should have, no ifs, ands or butts. On a tight schedule at a new restaurant, it was exactly the direction I needed. It was a gorgeous, spring day so outside we went—things were looking very promising.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed. The gorgeous pita bread around my chicken shawarma sandwich was dry and kept falling apart. The sandwich itself was huge, so huge in fact that it was very hard and sloppy to eat. In some situations that would be ok (like if you’re at home by yourself!) but most of us like to think we can eat in public and have a conversation with some semblance of dignity…this was not the sandwich to have for that dignity. I also got a lentil soup, I thought a middle eastern restaurant would serve a killer lentil soup. Again, I was disappointed. The lentils were completely blended and the temperature was tepid. It would have been better with some whole lentils left unblended so that there was a bit of a bite to it, and I was unimpressed with the flavor. My sandwich, soup and bottled water were about $9, service was pleasant, we bussed our own tables and off we went.

I felt strongly that I should try again, so a few days later, my most effervescent friend, Linda & I checked it out. We went to the same 17th street location and again got to snag a table outside during the lunch hour on a sunny Friday afternoon. I had heard that their gyros were marvelous, so this time we both got gyro salads. Wow, what a difference from my last experience. The lamb was incredibly flavorful, a perfect blend of spices and tender meat piled all over romaine lettuce, a sprinkling of diced tomatoes and just enough feta cheese. A delectable yogurt dressing is served on the side, perfect for dipping or pouring over that delicious lamb. The salad is served with pocket pita bread as well, brushed with oil and grilled, simply delicious. The bread was so good, we asked for additional bread (and had to go inside to pay $1 more at the counter for it.) Unfortunately, the extra bread wasn’t brushed with oil and grilled, but it was still warm and tasty--I’d suggest you savor what you get the first time around. Once again, service was pleasant and timely.

You can get kabobs here as well that should be great if they’re as good as the strips of lamb. But be prepared to wait, they take an extra 15 minutes—probably a fine choice if you’re not in a hurry.

I think Mazzah is a promising place. I don’t know yet if they have up & down days or just some items that are better than others. For a great meal, check out the gyro or gyro sandwich, enjoy the pleasant folks inside and the great weather outside and stay away from the soup.

No comments: